Thursday, March 15, 2012

Irish beef stew

This was my first crack at making a beef stew, it was timely but worth it. I made this for St.Patrick's day weekend along with the recipe for my mother's Irish soda bread. This meal was more than enough to feed me and my husband for 2 dinners and maybe a lunch.

  I bought 2 lbs of beef, browned it in oil, then added 4 cups of water, 4 bouillon cubes, 1 tsp dried rosemary, 3 tbs parsley and pepper to taste....simmered for 1 hour then added one onion, 6 large carrots, 4 stalks of celery and 6 good sized red potatoes. Stewed another hour. I thickened the gravy by dissolving corn starch in water and adding some of the hot broth. I served this with homemade Irish soda bread, my husband loved this meal, very hearty, definitely a mans meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment